Disclaimer: This work was produced by one of our expert writers, as a learning aid to help you with your studies. We also have a number of samples, each written to a specific grade, to illustrate the work delivered by our academic services.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of BusinessTeacher.org.
Grey GooseInternationally renowned luxury brand for premium vodka, Grey Goose was the brainchild of Sidney Frank, who even started the marketing of the product in the markets even before it hit the production line. (Grey Goose Heritage, 2009) Grey Goose is a premium vodka made in France, the place of haute cuisine, fashion and luxury and is bottled in a white frosted glass with the silhouette of flying geese, a sign associated to French people. It was awarded the name of “The Best Tasting Vodka” in 1998 by the Beverage Testing Institute due to its smooth finish, light palate and subtle notes. (Branca, 2009)
MarketingMarketing, or rather strategic marketing can be defined in many ways possible but the core output of the definition is to provide not just the product, but a service to customer so that they keep coming back again, basically meaning to make selling unnecessary according to Peter Drucker. (Kotler, Gary, Trifts, & Cunningham, 2013). A company, to make their marketing successful must identify certain different marketing channels and use certain different marketing mix to reach to the desired target markets. But identification of the target market is also crucial and hence various factors must be considered as follows:
- Economical (Zaichkowsky, 2010)
SWOT Analysis for Grey Goose
StrengthsSidney Frank first marketed this product in the US market where he identified that there was a gap in the luxury market and the distillate spirits available. He had a simple strategy, to brand the product as an elegant, luxurious, tasteful brand with high quality. This Vodka came from the home of luxury products, France and was created by French masters using the exceptional winter wheat, naturally filtered spring water from Champagne through its limestone properties and then distilled in a five step process in the Cognac region. Also, unlike other brands, this spirit was shipped in wooden crates in a frosted bottle, so that it caught the eye of the bartenders as well. This is was influencing the influencers, or simply to put in marketing terms, trading up. Hence the following points were covered:
- Brand perception
- Unique Manufacturing process
- Brand loyalty from luxury market
- Premium quality vodka
- High Productivity in market (Prentice & Handsjuk, 2016)
- Limited options
- Higher prices as compared to other brands
- Major market share in US
- Can enter a new market
- Demographics (Canada)
- Build on current market – SUSTAINABILITY
- Association with events, holidays and luxury
- Technological trends
- Increasing competition
- Increasing costs – Import/Export and government taxes and regulations
- Affect of cultural and religious motives in alcohol intake
- Changing dynamics in politics
- Other Threats
- Changing buyer’s taste
- Increased knowledge about spirits in Consumers
Federal Agencies influencesGrey Goose Vodka in order to meet regulation established from Health Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, and Industry Canada presents toke several measures established from Safe Food for Canadians Act (SFCA), Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR), as well as Food and Drugs Act (FDA) and Food and Drug Regulations (FDR) (Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2019). According to Canadian Food Inspection Agency label requirements, “all alcoholic beverages containing 1.1% or more alcohol by volume must declare the percentage by volume of alcohol contained in the product”; The bottle of Grey Goose in fact presents the alcohol by volume (40%) in the bottom left corner of the front (Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2019). The bottle also states “Imported” and “distilled and bottled in France” to clarify origin, respecting the Government warning on imported alcoholic beverages regulation (Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2019). Also, even if it is an alcoholic beverage with more than 0.5% alcohol so the Nutritional Facts timetable is not required, the Grey Goose bottle declare “distilled from French wheat” as a gluten source of 10ppm or more that must be declared when present in alcoholic beverages (Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2019).
SummaryGrey Goose Vodka entered the marketplace since the beginning with strong classification: as a luxury product. All the marketing and advertising during the years only made the need of the product stronger for their target market. Millennials and older people with moderate to high income, looking for a premium drink would be Grey Goose target market. Thanks to the concept of luxury behind the Vodka established since the beginning, because of the quality of the grain, the water, the process, and the place of origin; the sustainability campaigns that they hold targeting goals in reducing GHG emissions, water usage, materials, and waste; and the association with famous movies as Sex and the City, and special events, Grey Goose vodka perfectly gets to it’s target market.
- Arthur, R. (2018, October 19). Bacardi on Sustainability in Packaging. Retrieved from Beverage Daily: https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2018/10/19/Bacardi-on-sustainability-We-ve-learned-a-lot-about-the-importance-of-addressing-more-than-just-weight-in-packaging
- Branca, J. H. (2009). The Cocktail Creationist. New York Finance, 1-5.
- Demography Division. (2016). Canadian Demographics at a Glance. Statistics Canada, 1-81.
- Grey Goose Heritage. (2009). Retrieved from Grey Goose: https://www.greygoose.com/en-ca/heritage.html
- Kotler, P. T., Gary, A., Trifts, V., & Cunningham, P. H. (2013). Principles of Marketing. Chicago: Pearson Canada.
- Lachenmeier, D. S. (2008). Rapid and mobile brand authentication of vodka using conductivity measurement. Spreinger-Verlag.
- Lyoen, A. (2014, December qq). Absolut Vs Grey Goose. Retrieved from Vodka Vision Weebly: https://vodka-vision.weebly.com/analysis/swot-analysis
- Morris, R. (2019, October 11). pirits Market 2024 Emergent Technology Advancement in Coming Year | Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Brown Forman, Bacardi Limited. Retrieved from Online News Guru: https://onlinenewsguru.com/2019/10/17/spirits-market-2024-emergent-technology-advancement-in-coming-year-diageo-pernod-ricard-brown-forman-bacardi-limited/
- Prentice, C., & Handsjuk, N. (2016). Insights into Vodka consumer attitude and purchasing behaviors. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 7-14.
- Simpson, J. (Feburary, 10 2016). How Grey Goose used experiential marketing to tell its luxury story. Retrieved from E-consultancy: https://econsultancy.com/how-grey-goose-used-experiential-marketing-to-tell-its-luxury-story/
- Statista. (2019, January 10). Statista. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/308798/grey-goose-vodka-global-sales-volume/
- Venkatesan, R., Raggio, R. D., & Noel, K. (2017). Absolut Vodka: The Spirit of a Brand. Darden Business Publishing Cases, 1-14.
- Zaichkowsky, J. J. (2010). Strategies for distinctive brands. Journal of Brand Management, 548-560.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below: